The holidays are stunningly beautiful in New Orleans. The city is full of lights, cheerful events, and age-old traditions.
Our on-site restaurant Criollo offers a multi-course Reveillon Dinner bursting with elegant, authentic Creole flavors. And just a few steps away, the Carousel Bar & Lounge takes it a step further with a cocktail to match.
Each year, we offer special Reveillon on the Rocks holiday cocktails designed to complement the Reveillon menu at Criollo. And while we haven’t released the meu yet, we’re sharing some of our favorite classic holiday cocktail recipes in anticipation.
Read on and enjoy. Cheers!
Eggnog is a must at any holiday gathering. The Food Network’s very own Alton Brown has a recipe that’s simple and delicious.
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/3 cup sugar, plus 1 tablespoon
- 1 pint whole milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3 ounces bourbon
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 4 egg whites
Recipe (Serves 6):
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the egg yolks until they lighten in color. Gradually add the 1/3 cup sugar and continue to beat until it is completely dissolved. Add the milk, cream, bourbon and nutmeg and stir to combine.
- Place the egg whites in the bowl of a stand mixer and beat to soft peaks. With the mixer still running gradually add the 1 tablespoon of sugar and beat until stiff peaks form.
- Whisk the egg whites into the mixture. Chill and serve.
This is a classic holiday drink commonly made with red wine and various holiday ingredients. It’s full of spices and flavor. Warm up with some mulled wine with this great recipe from Esquire.
- 2 bottles dry red wine
- 1/2 c. raw sugar
- 2 star anise
- 3 whole cloves
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- 1 lemon, peeled
- 1 orange, juiced and peeled
- nutmeg, grated
- Bring all ingredients except wine to a boil. Turn down to a simmer for 45 minutes (toss in a splash of wine if reduces too low).
- Add the wine and keep it on very low heat. (Tip: for an extra kick, add a 1/2 cup of brandy.)
- Serve in glass mugs and garnish with fat orange twists.
The Moscow Mule is an extremely popular cocktail made with vodka and ginger beer. Put a tasty holiday twist on it with Delish’s Cranberry Mule recipe.
- 2 oz. cranberry juice
- 2 oz. vodka
- 1/4 c. lime juice, plus extra for garnish
- 3 oz. ginger beer
- 1 Handful fresh or frozen cranberries
- Combine cranberry juice, vodka and lime in a glass filled with ice. Top with ginger beer, whole cranberries and garnish with a lime wedge.
Make The Carousel Bar Your Home For The Holidays!
The Carousel Bar offers the perfect starting point for your holiday festivities, whether it’s sipping something before a holiday excursion in the city or relaxing with a nightcap after a long day.
Book your holiday vacation in New Orleans today!